Looking for a recipe...search here

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Peas Peda

From a long time i wanted to try and make peas halwa and today is the day. When i started to make it, i was having doubts, will it taste like a halwa. Now the final taste is more like a milk peda. So i think peas peda will be a proper name.

Ingredients

1 lb - Frozen Sweet peas ( Defrost )
One 12 fl oz can - Evaporated milk
3/4 cup - Mawa powder
10 - Almonds
1 1/2 cup - Sugar
4 - Cardamom, powdered
1/4 to 1/2 cup - Ghee
Pinch of salt

Method

1 ) In a blender, grind peas to a paste. Put almonds in hot water and remove the skin. Chop the almonds a keep aside.
2 ) Heat a heavy bottom pan, add evaporated milk and the peas paste. Mix and stir well. Cook the peas on low heat for 5 minutes. Then add sugar, cardamom powder and mawa powder. Keep stirring till it thickens up.
3 ) Add the chopped almonds, pinch of salt and ghee. Stir till it has thickened and forms like a ball, leaving the sides of the pan.
4 ) Grease a plate with ghee. Transfer the contents to the plate and spread. Once cool you can shape it round or any shape you like.

Serve as a dessert.

What is Mawa or Khoya

Mawa or khoya is a dairy product used in making Indian sweets. Ready made khoya or mawa is available in indian stores. I found mawa powder instead of the solidified milk.

14 comments:

Richa said...

very tempting peas halwa, great idea to serve it as bytes of burfi.
thanks

FH said...

Peas Halwa!! How very creative!!:))
I saw a Potato Halwa and thought Hmmm..!! Peas halwa looks great.Thanks for the unique recipe.

Mishmash ! said...

Girl, U 'experiment' a loooot :) Peas halwa is quite unique and am sure with all that sugar and evaporated milk, it cant taste bad :)

Shn

Pravs said...

Richa : Thanks :D I am not happy with the shaping. But was so eager to post this recipe, since it came out good.

Asha : Thanks :D My mom told me she made potato halwa as a teenager...and i thought just like you did.I didn't try to make potato halwa so far....but peas was something i wanted to try with.

Shn : You said it! How can it not taste good with all that good stuff. See, now seeing this recipe i am sure someone will perfect it even better.

Sharmi said...

hi Pravs, this looks so new and creative. peas halwa!! I dont know if I can find mawa here. let me try.

cheers
sharmi

Pravs said...

Sharmi, Thanks. Look in indian stores in freezer section, for solidified mawa or khoya.I found mawa powder, it's like milk powder.

Suganya said...

This is creative...I will try this one.

Anil P said...

Peas halwa? That's news. Never tasted one yet.

Kribha said...

Truely unique. Never heard of peas peda before. It is mouth-watering. Will try this for sure.
BTW, did you just make up this recipe on your own? It's very creative. Thanks for sharing.

Pravs said...

Sukanya : Please do try

Anil : Thanks for coming by..do try this recipe and let me know if you like it.

Kribha : Yes, i did make up this recipe :P let me know if you like it.

Anonymous said...

Interesting indeed! I've all the required ingredients in stock, let me give it a try. Thanks again for this unique recipe.

Rg.

Viji said...

Heyy...you have a very collection of recipes.Peas peda is new to me and will try for sure.Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving ur guess.U have the answer in my blog now :-)

Pecos Blue said...

Is there anything I can replace mawa with?

Pravs said...

Pecos : may be ricotta cheese can be substituted for mava. I have not tried it for this recipe though.