Looking for a recipe...search here

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Brinjal Chutney

I was introduced to brinjal chutney, through a Andhra friend. I was not sure how a brinjal chutney will taste. I was really surprised by the unique taste that comes out when mixed with other ingredients.

Ingredients

5 medium - Brinjal or one big eggplant, chopped

3 to 4 - Green chili, slit in center

1/2 tsp - Turmeric powder

Small piece - Tamarind ( about half a key lime size )

2 flakes - Garlic

1/2 tsp - Jeera

Salt to taste

Seasoning

1 tsp - Mustard seeds

1/2 tsp - Asafoetida / Kayam / Hing

1 tbsp - Channa dal

1 tsp - Urad dal ( Optional )

5 flakes - Garlic crushed

2 to 4 - Whole red chili

1 sprigs - Curry leaves

1/2 cup - Chopped coriander leaves

Method

1 ) Heat oil in a pan, add green chili and fry for a minute or two. Take it out of the oil, to a plate and set aside. To the pan add chopped brinjal. Stir and fry. Sprinkle turmeric powder and salt to taste. Close with a lid and cook on low flame till the brinjal is well cooked and looks mashed up. Take off the stove and cool.

2 ) To a blender add tamarind, garlic and jeera. Grind these ingredients. Then add the cooked brinjal, green chili and coarsely grind.

3 ) For seasoning, heat oil in a pan, add mustard, then chana dal, urad dal, whole red chili, Asafoetida, curry leaves and crushed garlic. Stir and fry for a minute. Then add coriander leaves, fry for minute. Add ground brinjal to the seasoning and stir in well. Cook for a minute or two. Take off the stove and serve.

Serve with rice or chapati.

Tip

Chutney with cucumber, cabbage, red bell pepper, zucchini can be made following the same method.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I tried this recipe and came out excellent. Simple yet Wonderful recipe

Anonymous said...

hey ..
This recipe is very new to me .Brinjal kondu chutney ..Sounds good...Will surely try this out ...Thanks for sharing this chutney

Anonymous said...

Hi dear.. I am newly married so I keep searching for various recipes in the net and today I got to see your site and found this interesting recipe.. I tried out this recipe for the first time today and it came out very well.. It was awesome!! I never expected that eggplant chutney would give such a good taste.. Thank you soooo much for posting this recipe.. My hubby was also very much impressed by this dish and I think I would get a treat for this ;)... Thank you once again :)

Pravs said...

Krithika : Soooo happy to read your comment :) I know, even i was so very impressed with the taste of this chutney when i tasted this for the first time at a friends. Thank you so much for trying and for the feedback.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pravs.. I am planning to try few other recipes of yours.. Will try them and will send you the feedback... Can i join as a member in your site?

Pravs said...

Hi Krithika : Do try ..will look out for the feedbacks :)
you want to be a member to this blog to contribute?

Krithika said...

Hi Pravs,

Am extremely sorry for not following up. Was busy with something else. Yes, I would like to be a member of this blog. What should I do for that?

Thanks.

Pulse!!!!! said...

Tried this recipe today. Came out well. Thanks for sharing :)

Mandepanda said...

Hello Prav,

I tried your Ginger Chutney recipe with a slight variation by adding coconut and it was delicious. Thank you for sharing your recipes.

Regards,
Som

Anonymous said...

hello.
i just stumbled across this recpie of urs a few dayz back. n i prepared it today. it turned out absolutly yummy..n my dad instantly fell in love with it. thank u fr sharin d recipie. regards -anvita shetty

Pravs said...

Anvita : Thank you so much for this feedback. Absolutely delighted to know, your dad loved it :)