Looking for a recipe...search here

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Brinjal Mooru Kootan

Today is April Fools day and did some of you have a good time making a fool of the other ? It was really funny in the school days to be silly and try all your stunts to make a fool of your friends. That's some good memories.
Today my taste buds are craving for something tangy. I had some green brinjals in hand and thought why not experiment with them. So this recipe is the result of that experiment. If you like tangy taste, you will like/love, but not dislike this curry. Green brinjals are fried and cooked in yogurt gravy.



Ingredients

8 - Green round brinjal, chopped lengthwise
1/4 tsp - Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp - Red chili powder
1/2 tsp - Asafeotida/ hing

For Yogurt gravy

1. 5 cup - Sour thick Yogurt / curds
1 big flake - Garlic, chopped
1/2 inch - Ginger, chopped
1/2 tsp - Cumin powder / Jeera powder
Salt to taste

Seasoning

1 tsp - Mustard seeds
1 sprig - Curry leaves
2 -3 - Whole red chili
Corn Oil

Method

1 ) Heat oil in a pan, add turmeric powder, red chili powder and hing. Fry for a minute. Then add chopped brinjal, Stir and fry till brinjal is browned. Do not add salt now. Brinjal should not get mashed up.

2 ) Meanwhile, grind and blend ingredients for yogurt gravy in a blender. Add this to the fried brinjal. Add salt to taste and bring to a boil on low heat. Take off the stove.

3 ) Heat oil in a pan, pop mustard seeds, then add curry leaves and whole red chili. Fry for a minute. Add this seasoning to the brinjal yogurt curry.

Serve this delicious brinjal yogurt curry with plain rice.

18 comments:

Ken Albin said...

Speaking of April Fool's Day, here is my contribution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO2tg7eopc4

Enjoy!

Mishmash ! said...

Pravs, Moru koottan is fine...pakshe ivide oraal 'brinjal' ennu parayunna sadanathinte aduthu polum varilla...entha cheyya? !

Shn
I know my reply mail is pending..will write in detail:)

Sia said...

wow pravs,
i liked ur peas peda and now ur brijal kootan. never seen green brinjals here in my part of the world. do u think the common purple ones will do?

FH said...

YUM!! I get Thai Brinjal.Dish looks fabulous,I am salivating:))

Sharmi said...

hi Pravs, the name itself is so yummy sounding. will try it soon.
cheers
sharmi

Pravs said...

Ken : That is a nice one.

Mishmash : entha cheya alle !

Sia : Thanks sia. I think the small purple ones will be fine.

Asha : I hope you like it, when you make it :D

Sharmi : Please do and let me know, if you like it. I just came up with this recipe...so crossing my fingers and hoping whoever tries, like it .

Richa said...

the brinjal-yogurt combination tastes very good, I once tried it with sourcream as well and it turned out great.
The pic looks great.
thanks for sharing

Suganya said...

hi.
It looks great.......Your recipes are realy different and nice...

Pravs said...

Richa :Thank you Richa.So, how did you make with sour cream ? Will you post that recipe ?

Sukanya : Thank you so much, sukanya. Have you tried any of my recipes ? Let me know if liked any. Thanks for coming by.

Richa said...

hey pravs,
the process is similar to yours. I followed this recipe, you can try it if you like, but try to use the long brinjal for this to get the best taste.
http://saffronhut.blogspot.com/2006/03/birthday-special-dahiwale-baingan.html

Kribha said...

I have seen green brinjals before but never tried to do anything with it. I make a similar type of curry called ' mor kuzhambu' meaning buttermilk curry.But your ingredients are a little different. will try this and let you know.

Arunkumar said...

Hi Pravs, I came across your brinjal kootan recipe and it looks simple and easy to make. We like to eat it a little more spicy than your quantity. So, it turned out great/ Thanks a lot for this recipe.
Arun

Pravs said...

Hi Arun : I am so happy to know you liked my recipe. You know what....i like it spicy too! But when i post a recipe, i try to be cautious and lower the spice level.
So go ahead and make it as per your taste buds wants it.

FH said...

Made this today Pravs, yummy yum yum!!
I will link it next week, thanks for the recipe!:)

Pravs said...

Asha : Oh, thanks for trying and what a good feedback :D.

Anonymous said...

Hi

I have really enjoyed visiting your site. Yesterday I tried your April Fool's invention "Brinjal Mooru Kootan" and it was truly fantastic!!!

Thank you, Helena

Pravs said...

Helena :Thank you so much helena, for this feedback and visiting my blog :)

Anonymous said...

When did u add salt in this recipe?