Looking for a recipe...search here

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Puran Poli

Puran poli is a sweet, prepared and served as a snack or a dessert in different parts of India for different occasions. Different stuffing's are used in making poli. I came up with a stuffing with Tapioca, coconut, groundnut and jaggery.

Ingredients

For dough

I cup - Whole wheat flour
1 cup - Maida / all purpose flour
Pinch of salt
Water

For stuffing

1 cup - Cooked Tapioca
1/2 cup - Sweetened coconut flakes or grated coconut
1/2 cup - Roasted groundnut powder
1 cup - Jaggery ( thick syrup )
2 - Cardamom , powdered
Ghee or oil

Preparation

1 ) Cook tapioca in water with little turmeric powder. When well cooked drain off all the water. Mash and make a smooth dough. Set aside.

2 ) Roast groundnut lightly and powder it.

Method

1 ) First make the stuffing.

In a utensil, add mashed tapioca, grated coconut, groundnut powder, cardamom powder and jaggery. Mix in all the ingredients well and make small size balls of it, like in the picture below. If the mixture has more liquid content, then add little roasted rice powder to make thick mixture dough.


Secondly make the dough, like chapati dough.

2 ) Add enough water to make dough, by mix all the ingredients listed. Make small balls of the dough equal to the number of stuffing balls.

3 ) Roll the dough and then place a stuffing ball in center, like the picture below.

4 )Wrap and cover the stuffing ball with the dough fully.

5 ) Roll out the dough with a rolling pin, as thin as possible.

6 ) Heat a pan and place the rolled out poli in the pan. Cook on both sides. Smear some ghee or oil on both sides. Take off the pan and serve in a serving plate.

Enjoy this puran poli as a snack.

Check out the recipe at Neivedyam for puran poli with a different stuffing.

9 comments:

Sia said...

prav, i donno if i will ever attempt making puran polis. it loos so delicious and u have got perfect round shape too:) amazing...

FH said...

Perfect looking Puran Poli Pravs.Yummy! I bet you enjoyed it:)

Sharmi said...

So am I the first one? let me start with the fresh new comment. I think you got what I ment. Hey how come you got such lovely puran polis? Never could get proper rounds. were breaking on the edges for me.
any tips?

cheers
sharmi

Mishmash ! said...

Can u send some for me ? :)hey, dont see u online these days...hope everything is fine with u.
Take care
Shn

Sig said...

Love Puran polis, I've never made these, but my friend brings me some whenever she makes it, may be I will try to make this next time... Thanks for the recipe, it looks great!

Pravs said...

Thank you sia. Sia, it's not so hard to make it. Just a bit time consuming. But the end result is a tasty puran poli.

Yes Asha! You know what ? it's my first try at puran poli and i am amazed it came out good. :P

Thanks sharmi.I didn't do any thing special...maybe the stuffing did some magic...hehhe.

Sure mishmash... a parcel is on it's way via fed ex. I am doing fine....thanks for asking.

Hey sig,you should give this a try.

Unknown said...

Just saw pooran poli on sharmi's blog....:D.Thanks for the detailed pic.s.Looks perfect.will give it a try soon as i love it.And pazham pori...oh...my all time fav.snack..

Pravs said...

Thank you maheswari. Please do try and let me know, how it came out.

KF said...

het dear, This is something new to me..Looks Yummy!!