Looking for a recipe...search here

Friday, December 07, 2007

Crab Masala Curry

Getting fresh and meaty crab is important, to make a delicious crab curry. Usually i buy blue crab from asian market, which is the same crab we cook back in kerala. Live crabs are the best. If not then to select fresh crab, these are the things i look for. Press on the soft shell side of the crab and see if it is firm. Is quite heavy and not light in weight. If the crab is sick, it will not have any meat and will not taste good. To learn how to clean crab, click here for a picturized method. This curry will be best, cooked in a mannchatty /earthen pot.

Ingredients

6 - Crab, cleaned and cut into two
3 to 4 tbsp - Coriander powder
1 tsp - Red chili powder
1/2 tsp - Turmeric powder
1 big - Tomato, chopped
4 big - Shallots
4 to 6 - Green chili, slit in center
2'' piece - Ginger, finely chopped
Salt to taste
Coconut oil

Seasoning

1 tsp - Mustard seeds
2 to 3 sprigs - Curry leaves

Method

1 ) Heat oil in a earthen pot or a deep skillet. Add mustard and pop, then add curry leaves, shallots, green chili and ginger. Stir and fry for a minute on medium heat.

2 ) Add the powders - coriander, chili and turmeric powder. Fry in the oil till the raw smell of the powder goes on a low heat. Add tomato and cleaned crab. Stir and mix with the masala.

3 ) Add little water to make little gravy. Do not add too much water. Add salt to taste. Close with a lid and cook on low heat. Once the crab is fully cooked, take off the stove and serve. If you want little more gravy, add 1/2 cup of thick coconut milk and just before it comes to a boil take off the stove. This is really optional; this will change the rich masala flavor a bit.

Serve with plain rice.

21 comments:

Anh said...

Oh yum yum! I would love to eat the whole plate of this :)

Mishmash ! said...

I wanted all that info about crabs...danku ...danku :P

Kribha said...

It's my favorite. We do it once in two weeks atleast. I have a crab masala too in my blog. Mine has more gravy in it. Yours look like a dry curry. Looks so mouth-watering. I'm bookmarking it.

Kalai said...

You're going to make me cry! I love crab masala, but haven't been able to find live crabs in a long time. Yours looks divine!

Padmaja said...

Pravs!! My Favourite, My dad used to make this crab curry, I tried couple of times here but i felt really ill after i had both the times so never touched it again in here but whenever i go home, i get to eat the best curry ever!!

Seema said...

Nice curry, have'nt eaten crab in ages....Your making quite a few of your blogger friends J :-)

Finla said...

Yummyyyyyyy Havent eaten then in years and years. When i was living at home my mom used to make them. Thinking about itself makes one mouth water.
Crunching to the bones :-)

Shah cooks said...

how did u know i was craving crab? the photom looks so inviting!nice recipe with coco milk.i normally make the spicy curry without milk.

sunita said...

Pravs, you're really tempting me to try this...looks yummm

KonkaniBlogger said...

The Curry looks so yummy..We make it too, but with more gravy in it..Mouth-watering pic...

amna said...

Never tasted, let alone cooked, crabs, though am an ardent seafood lover. That is a lovely picture considering that cooked crabs may not be that photogenic :)

Pravs said...

Anh : I would do the same :)

Mishmash : you are very welcome :) I hope this info helps you to select good crabs.

Kribha : Gravy is less,but not a very dry curry.Do try.

Kalai: Thanks :) so sorry to tempt you :P

Padmaja : Oh, getting sick eating crab could be, if you eat the soft shell maybe. Oh yeah, back home you do get good crabs. This is my mom's recipe, so when she makes this curry, its so yummy.

Seema : hmmm..getting good crabs is the hard part, right?

Happycook : Reading your comment i felt like you were already chewing on some crab meat :)

Mallugirl : I make without coconut milk too. Just suggested coconut milk, if someone wants more gravy.

Sunita : So i guess, you will be shopping for crabs soon ?? :D

Maya : Thanks. Do try this recipe too.

Nags : I was really not happy with the pictures. But then..just gave it a shot.

Shella said...

The last time I had crab was when I had visited Kochi in Aug. Oh what a delight!! Your pics make me drool. Unfortuantely we have derth of fresh crabs here in Delhi.

Purnima said...

Pravs..thats too tempting..wow..I had crabcurry (Konkani style) many years ago at a aunt's place in Udipi! Mumbai, we dont get the plump ones or meaty ones as u hv mentioned! Wd try this (i too love more gravied ones) but wd try dry in earthen chatti. :D

Sagari said...

lovelyy pic and yummmmmmmy curry

neroli said...

Oh, Pravs! this is wonderful.
It looks like a dish that could be eaten every single day, and never get old!

J said...

I've only tried crabcakes and they were awesome. If only someone would clean the crab for me.... I might get over my squeamishness and cook this curry :)

Sig said...

wow, drooling here... Siv is in charge of cooking crab in my house, it is too much work for me :) I don't think he buys blue crab, but those look so pretty, next time we will get those..

PranisKitchen said...

hi
looks so yummy....
regards
Pranith

Anonymous said...

just tried it - Absolutely amazing. In fact I can officially give my mum a run for the money! Thank YOUUUU!!! :)

Pravs said...

Anon : Awesome ! Thanks for this feedback :)